© 2011 fholzgrefe

Thanksgiving – Hong Kong style

Lingnan University presented us with a Thanksgiving feast for HK20…about USD$2.60.  We Americans were quite excited for the spread, so arrived super early to see about 50 school-aged children in teeny tuxes.  So adorable…until we found out the night was going to be a mini-recital for them to show off their harp and piano skills.  That’s okay, though, it was cute seeing the little children playing instruments.  We also had a guy rap for us.  There was then an extended presentation about the origin of Thanksgiving blah blah blah…then it was time for food!  Each table received it’s own turkey and the sides were served from a buffet table.

The spread was definitely different….the usual turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry (canned), broccoli and cauliflower, and rolls, and the unusual: pasta, fried rice, seaweed crackers, and coconut-covered jello.  It was decent, definitely school food, but we got a huge portion of food for so cheap, how can we complain?

On Thanksgiving back home, I usually go to Kiawa in South Carolina with my best friend’s family.  On Thanksgiving day, we “run” a 5k, go home for delicious corn chowder, then participate in a sand castle competition.  To keep the tradition alive, I went to Gold Coast beach to have my own sand castle competition.  I had many observers while building my Buddha (complete with a Santa hat and holding a turkey).

That night, being a Thursday, we went out to LKF.  Our bellies were quite full with food, so it wasn’t as great of an experience as one would think…

Our course there were Thanksgiving leftovers, so my dear friend Billy (France) and Yesim (Turkey) planned a lunch to cook up our leftovers.  To be honest, that lunch was much better than the actual Thanksgiving meal (but aren’t the leftovers usually the best part??)

We did have a taste of family with a dinner out with our friend’s parents who were here in Hong Kong visiting.  We went to hot pot, where you have a pot of boiling liquid and you cook all your own food in it.  A Hong Kong delicacy. (I just realized, we were all Americans).  Once again, preparations for Christmas are early here.